PILBARA RAILWAY PAGES
Rio Tinto Road

Rio Tinto Iron Ore is the trading name for Hamersley Iron and the former Cliffs Robe River Iron Associates combined operations of Pilbara Rail and Pilbara Iron and currently operates some 225 locomotives across four different models with 11500 ore waggons in married pairs along approximately 1700 km of heavy haul standard gauge railway.
Rio Tinto wholly owns Hamersley Iron and 53 percent of Robe River Iron Associates following a buyout of North Ltd and also operates and manages the Hope Downs 1 and 4 mine projects on a 50/50 joint venture with Hancock Prospecting P/L. For more information, the Rio Tinto Iron Ore site is here.

The locomotive fleet is made up of the following three types:

  • 49 General Electric ES44ACi or EVO's, a modern and technologically advanced fleet with the GEVO-12 4400hp engine and AC traction. These units are numbered from 9100 onwards and more are on order. They are in the Rio Tinto silver with red stripes and numerals.
  • 100 General Electric ES44DCi or EVO, a 4400hp model with the GEVO-12 engine, road numbers 8100 to 8199. These units carry two liveries, the units 8100 to 8118 are all silver with black 'Rio Tinto' and the units 8119 to 8199 carry red stripes with red 'Rio Tinto' and numerals.
  • 72 General Electric Dash 9-44CW or Dash 9, an aging but very reliable locomotive with the 7FDL-16 engine of 4400hp with DC traction and road numbers of 9401 to 9409, 9428 to 9436 and 7043 to 7098 (excluding 7051 and 7052).
    These units wear a variety of liveries, from the original Pepsi livery of sliver with blue and red stripes, the combined colours of Pilbara Rail and Pilbara Iron and one unit 9406 carries the Rio Tinto all over grey following collision rebuilding.
The four CM40-8M rebuilds 9411, 9418, 9419 and 9422 were used by John Holland on the Koodaideri line construction and once finished were subsequently scrapped at Sell and Parker in Port Hedland, February 2022. These former Robe River rebuilds with GE 7FDL-16 4000hp engines on ALCo frames were stored for some years before reactivation for the construction duties. These units were in the former ROBE yellow, red and black livery.
A complete motive power roster with serial numbers of the Rio Tinto roster including historical Hamersley Iron ALCo, GE C36-7 and CM40-8M rebuild data can be viewed here Rio Tinto Roster.

Three General Electric Dash 9-44CW units were originally purchased by Robe River and lettered for Pilbara Rail with ROBE identifying marks. They originally carried road numbers 9470, 9471 and 9472 with serial no. 53455, 53456 and 53457 built October 2001 and delivered on 21st February 2002 and subsequently re-numbered to fit into the combined locomotive roster as 9401-9402-9403 respectively.

The massive Rio Tinto railway system extends from three port complexes, East Intercourse Island and Parker Point located at Dampier and serviced by the Seven Mile yard complex and the greatly enlarged Cape Lambert facility at Port Walcott serviced by Cape Lambert yard. East Intercourse Island has one dumper, Parker Point two dumpers and Cape Lambert with five dumpers. All of these dumpers except the original Robe single waggon dumper are dual cell dumpers capable of dumping a pair or waggons each tip.
From these facilities a single track mainline with three passing sidings (Dingo 38 km, Dove 52 km and Dugite 63 km) runs south out of Seven Mile yard to Emu 77 km, and a double track mainline running south west out of Cape Lambert to Western Creek 72 km where the lines converge at Emu and the double track mainline starts the steep graded climb to the top of the Chichester range at Gull 105 km. Double track continues all the way to Rosella Siding 250 km where 'branch' lines head roughly south east to mine loadouts at Yandicoogina (2 of) 447 km, West Angelas 420 km, Hope Downs 1 460 km, Hope Downs 4 501 km and Marandoo 306 km. Another branch from Rosella heads west to Brockman 4 326 km via Nammuldi 290 km and Brockman 2 293 km, while the mainline continues from Rosella 250 km on to Wombat Junction 280 km where the Tom Price (291 km) mine spur branches off west before continuing finally into Paraburdoo 386 km.

A typical consist on the Tom Price line system which takes in all the southern mines, is three locomotives and 240 ore waggons loaded up to approximately 130 tonnes of ore.
Bank locomotives, operated by a pair of units, are used to push loaded trains along the following track segments:
Paraburdoo (389 km) to Wombat Junction 280 km (Tom Price);
Yandicoogina 447 km (HIY), West Angelas 420 km, Hope Downs 1 460 km and Hope Downs 4 501 km to Hawk Siding (350 km).
The 'Lang Hancock Railway' is the name of the railway that connects the Hancock Prospecting owned Hope Downs 1 mine 460km (located 100km north west of Newman) to Rio Tinto system at Hancock Junction (406 km) on the West Angelas line and started railing ore in December 2007. Following the success of Hope Downs 1 North and South deposits, Hope Downs 4 (30 km north west of Newman) was then developed and commenced production including an additional 50km railway spur from Hope Downs 1 in 2013.

The other line is the Robe Valley line and continues on from Western Creek (72 km) on the Cape Lambert line past the original loading sites at the 168 km, the junction for the now branch to Mesa K and J is the 191 km, with Mesa K (193 km) and then Mesa J or Deepdale at the 196 km while the mainline continues onto Mesa A - Warramboo at the 233.9 km located 50 km west of Pannawonica.
Operations on the Robe Valley line utilise two General Electric ES44ACi AC traction locomotives and 167 ore waggons known as J Cars with five trains to Mesa A and one to Mesa J a day on average. These captive ore waggons are the original Robe River 'J cars' or Robe Valley Waggons as they are now known, built by Nippon Sharyo Nihon, Tomlinson Steel WA, Centurion WA and the latest versions from Bradken.
These waggons only run between Cape Lambert and the Robe Valley being either Mesa A up to six trains per day or Mesa J (Deepdale) one train per day. These trains are restricted to the original Robe River Car Dumper #1 at Cape Lambert which dumps a one waggon at a time.

Historical Information (requires cleaning).

On the Deepdale line from Cape Lambert to Deepdale (Mesa J) anything up to 4 Dash 9 locos can run a train. But most common is 2 Dash 9 and 2 Dash 8 units per train. One short service uses 3 locos, most trains are around 234 waggons long. At Western Creek (72 km) an interconnecting line runs round to the Tom Price line and joins this at Emu. This allows the West Angelas and Yandi trains to run direct to Cape Lambert.

The Tom Price railway runs from the Seven Mile Yard 280 km to Wombat Junction where the Tom Price (295 km) spur leaves the main to continue to Paraburdoo (385 km) with two branch lines diverting from Rosella Loop (251 km). One to Brockman (294 km) running west of Tom Price. And the other past Marandoo (300 km) and West Angelas to Yandicoogina (440 km) to the east of Tom Price.
The track side signals were removed years ago by Hamersley Iron and replaced with an 'Integrated Control Signalling System' (ICSS for short) which relays the limit of authority to the driver via the track to a display in the cab. The limit of authority is determined by the interlocking computers from commands that the train controller enters in a manner similar to CTC operation.

Train control over the whole network is carried out from Rio Tinto's state of the art remote control centre in Perth some 1500 kilometres from the operation. Control consisted of four train control desks. One desk is assigned to the Seven Mile Yard and both East Intercourse Island and Parker Point yards and dumpers, another assigned to the mainline from 7 Mile to the 238 kilometre on the mainline to Tom Price, another assigned to the south of the 238 kilometre on the Tom Price main, out to all the mines. And the forth desk is for the Deepdale line from Cape Lambert to Deepdale. Communications are carried out over a UHF radio network. A PDF file of all Pilbara railroad operating frequencies can be accessed here.

The rostering of the rail crews on the Tom Price mainline is similar to BHP Iron Ore, in that crews work an 'out and back' trip, with drivers located at Dampier, Tom Price and some mines on a 'Fly-in Fly-out' basis, working opposing trains and then changing over around the mid-way point of the journey when they need to cross. Pilbara Rail utilise single man crews and also have 'Mobile Enginemen' in motor cars to travel between mines and bank engine jobs.

Pilbara Rail acquired two ex BHP C36-7M or Dash 7 locos that were subsequently rebuilt by Goninan in Perth and numbered 5051 and 5052 in the Pilbara Rail colours. These 2 units worked as shunters and were limited to 7 Mile yard and back and forth to the car dumpers. They are known locally as Bill and Ben, and are not very well liked. The units arrived in January 2003 before being withdrawn and stored at Seven Mile since ~2009.

For a current list of Pilbara Rail's locomotives, complete with -9 serial numbers, build dates and livery, click here: Rio Tinto Power Roster.

Hamersley Iron operates a modern fleet of General Electric Dash 9-44CW, or Dash 9 locomotives designated the 70 Class. These units are rated at 4,400 horsepower and allowed HI to totally replace their mixed ALCo, GE and EMD locomotive fleet in 1995, when a further 3 units arrived in early 2001 this delivery bolstered the fleet to 32 locos. These were the first locos in Australia to have the 'Rollerblade' style of bogie.
A typical consist is 2 Dash 9 locos on the point with up to 234 ore waggons trailing behind loaded with 105 tonnes of iron ore. They also use a banking pair of locos to push trains out of Paraburdoo up to Tom Price and also to push trains out of HIY (Yandicoogina). Hamersley Iron run the heaviest trains in the world with head end power.
Hamersley Iron operate their heavy haul railway from the Port of Dampier 280 km to Wombat Junction where the Tom Price (295 km) spur leaves the main to continue to Paraburdoo (385 km) with two branch lines diverting from Rosella Loop (251 km). One to Brockman (294 km) running west of Tom Price. And the other past Marandoo (300 km) to Yandicoogina (440 km) to the east of Tom Price.
Hamersley Iron removed their track side signals several years ago and replaced it with an 'In-cab Display', known as ICSS or Integrated Control Signalling System, which relays the trackage status to the driver from the train controller located in 7 Mile Yard (Dampier), and by extensive UHF radio coverage. The rostering of the rail crews differ somewhat from BHP Iron Ore, in that Hamersley crews work a type of change over arrangement with drivers located at both Dampier and Tom Price working opposing trains and then changing trains around the mid-way point of the journey where they need to cross. Hamersley Iron, like the rest of the Pilbara operators utilise single man crews. For more info here's Rio Tinto Iron Ore website.

Cliffs Robe River Iron Associates (ROBE)

Revised historical information, updated 11/2017.

Cliffs Robe River Iron Associates (CRRIA) originally operated a 168 kilometre railway built in 1971 by Morrison-Knudson-Mannix-Oman (MKMO) from the crushing and port facilities at Cape Lambert (Point Walcott), located 16km to the north of the pioneer town of Roebourne, 4km west of Point Sampson and immediately north of the company town of Wickham, running a roughly south westerly direction inland to the mining area known as the Robe Valley, later known as Middle Robe and located east of the 'closed' company town of Pannawonica.
Original operations involved three heavy haul ALCo locomotives and 135 ore waggons with the safe working system being a radio based train order type system.
The railway line was extended in 1975 with a further 4km spur branching off at the 162.2km to the #2 Robe loadout and Mesa 2402E mining area.
A map excerpt can be viewed here.
From 1982 mining started to move west along the Robe Valley to the East Deepdale involving mining of Mesa L, Mesa M and Mesa N before moving onto Mesa K in 1988 and then further to Mesa J (Deepdale) in 1992, where the current train loadout and yard is situated, 14km south west of Pannawonica.
The port consisted of an open air single waggon rotary dumper which empties the waggon into a gyratory 'secondary' crusher.
Loaded train consists were divided into two portions upon arrival in the yard from the mines for unloading through the car dumper, this also allows a faster train turnaround time.
The railway line heading south from Cape Lambert consisted of the car dumper at the 0 km with workshops and maintenance facilities. Further south was the ballast loading and turning triangle or wye located at the 8 km and then the rail maintenance yard at the 10km. On the line south the North West Coastal highway was crossed at a grade crossing at the 19.6 km and it also passed over the Hamersley Iron Dampier - Tom Price railway at the 74 km, and three crossing loops or passing sidings were also provided. These were originally just named as Siding One 42 km, Siding Two 92 km and Siding Three 133 km, before being renamed to Harding, Maitland and Murray Camp respectively.
In later years most train departures were timed to allow the crossing of empty and loaded trains at Maitland Siding (Siding Two) and involved unmanned bank engines on the rear of the loaded trains to assist them up the steep grades between here and the mine. A shunt locomotive was also provided at the mine to allow the train locomotives from the arriving empty train to be removed and placed on the waiting loaded train to improve utilisation and turnaround times.
Loaded trains that were banked out of Mesa J to Maitland Siding normally employed a pair of unmanned CM40-8M GE locomotives controlled by the driver up the front of the train and these were uncoupled 'on the fly' at Maitland Siding. Once this practice was discontinued, utilisation of quad or four head-end only CM40-8M locomotives became the normal operating model with 202 waggons.

By late 2000 Robe River was in the advanced stages of developing its new West Angelas iron ore mine located 100km to the north west of Newman and the associated rail infrastructure and it also, through a court process, was in a very good position to be granted 'third party access' to portions of Hamersley Iron's railway network to allow it to reduce the outlay of building a parallel railway to run 170 waggon trains with two locomotives from Western Creek (on the Cape Lambert line) to the top of the Chichester Range and again through Karijini National Park along the Marandoo railway to gain access to West Angelas.
This in turn led to Rio Tinto launching a takeover or buyout of North Ltd (controlling interest) shares in Robe River in 2001, thus extinguishing the need for any third party rail access agreement.
Robe River had three new locomotives ordered from General Electric and these were specified to be identical to the current thirty two Hamersley Iron Dash 9-44CW units including the 'in -cab' ICSS signalling system, automatic train protection and direct locomotive control (DLC) which is a requirement to operate over the Hamersley Iron network and were the first locomotives to be delivered in the new Pilbara Rail livery but with ROBE reporting marks. They originally carried road numbers 9470, 9471 and 9472 with serial no. 53455, 53456 and 53457 built October 2001 and delivered to Cape Lambert on the 21st February 2002. They were subsequently re-numbered to better fit into the rest of the pooled Pilbara Rail locomotive roster of Dash 9-44CW locomotives as 9401-9402-9403. Also Robe ordered 336 ore waggons from Bradken NSW along the style of Hamersley Iron's modern 'S' series waggons.

Following the takeover of North Limited by Rio Tinto and the subsequent delisting of North Ltd which was the majority shareholder in Robe River Iron Associates two new operating companies were formed to manage the now combined assets;
One to manage both Hamersley Iron and Robe River's rail based assets called Pilbara Rail, and;
Secondly called Pilbara Iron and used to manage the joint groups mining and port infrastructure. Capital for new locomotives and waggons comes from both Hamersley Iron and Robe River with locomotives and the 'S' series ore waggons carrying reporting marks of who supplied what, HI waggons were also painted 'Pilbara Red' and Robe waggons a grey colour.

The Robe River and Hamersley Iron railways then needed to have an interconnecting track at Western Creek, which leaves the Robe River Cape Lambert-Mesa J railway at the 72 km and joins the Hamersley line at the 76.3 km at the north end of Emu on the east mainline of the Dampier-Tom Price railway to allow West Angelas trains to access the HI network. As part of this 2002 network upgrade Siding One (later named Harding) was also increased in length to allow standard Hamersley Iron length trains of three locomotives and for 240 waggons. Standard Robe practice at the time was for two locomotives and 170 waggons, and their original West Angelas proposal was based on this. A new car dumper to suit the 'M' waggon types was also built at Cape Lambert to allow the West Angelas ore to be dumped there.

Train Control over the line from Cape Lambert to Deepdale was done out of Cape Lambert yard and utilised a train order method of safe working.
Following the merger, train control moved to Hamersley Iron's Seven Mile yard complex and then CTC was also bought into operation on the line from Cape Lambert to Western Creek, with train orders being used from Western Creek to Mesa J (Deepdale). The Cape Lambert-Mesa J railway line also utilises a number of voice announcing defect detectors for hot box (bearing) detection and these can be readily heard over the UHF radio system if you have a scanner and help to locate trains and their direction.

The Robe River locomotive fleet in 2000-2 consisted of:

  • 4 ALCo M-636 units 9412, 9413, 9215, 9416;
  • 2 ALCo C-636R - Comeng rebuild units 9426 and 9427;
  • 12 CM40-8M GE rebuild units 9410-9411, 9414, 9417-9425, which ended up assigned as shunt units at Seven Mile and Cape Lambert and as extra power on Deepdale services;
  • 3 GE Dash 9-44CW units 9470-9472, renumbered 9401 to 9403 and added to the Pilbara Rail pooled fleet.
A Cliffs Robe River Iron Associates ALCo roster with rebuild data can be found here.

Some brief individual locomotive histories notes are (updated 3rd March 2022):

  • 9401 started life with the New South Wales Government Railways as 40 class member 4006.
    • It was built by the Montreal Locomotive Works (Canada) in 1951 with serial number 77737 and is based on the ALCo model RSC-3, powered by an ALCo V12-244 engine with an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement.
    • 4006 entered service with the NSWGR on the 23/01/1952
    • 4006 repainted tuscan red 07/1960
    • 4006 received a 'top end' overhaul by the NSWGR prior to being traded-in to A.E. Goodwin for new 442 class units in 1971. 4006 and 4002 were selected as the two best remaining operational 40 class units at that time.
    • 4006 officially condemned by the NSWGR on 17/8/1971
    • 4006 transferred to A.E. Goodwin on the 10/07/1971
    • 4006 was purchased along with 4002 in 1971 by Bechtel Pacific from A.E. Goodwin.
    • 4006 and 4002 supplemented the order for 5 ALCo M636 units to be built new by AE Goodwin in 1971/72.
    • Delivered in a yellow livery and numbered 261-001 for Bechtel Pacific during construction.
    • 261-001 loaded on the 'Yanagi Maru' at #13 Pyrmont on Sunday 08/08/1971 for delivery.
    • Following construction, 261-001 was renumbered to 86-13-1700 on the cab sides, but only 1700 in the number boards.
    • Circa 1974 renumbered to 9401
    • Retired mid-1980
    • 9401 was donated to the town of Wickham and plinthed between the day care centre and the shopping centre on July 14 1982.
    • It was finally moved by the Wickham Lions and subsequently re-plinthed as an entry statement to town.
    • Of note is this loco has worn six liveries, being green (delivered), tuscan red (07/1960) and for Robe River, yellow (delivered), green band (during operations), then a black band and finally Robe as currently plinthed.
  • 9405 started life with the New South Wales Government Railways as 40 class member 4002
    • It was built by the Montreal Locomotive Works (Canada) in 1951 with serial number 77733 and is based on the ALCo model RSC-3, powered by an ALCo V12-244 engine with an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement
    • 4002 entered service with the NSWGR on the 29/11/1951
    • 4002 repainted royal blue with gold lining 01/1954
    • 4002 was one of two units (with 4001) to haul the Royal Train in NSW in 02/1954
    • 4002 repainted tuscan red 11/1960
    • 4002 received a 'top end' overhaul by the NSWGR prior to being traded-in to A.E. Goodwin for new 442 class units in 1971. 4002 and 4006 were selected as the two best remaining operational 40 class units at that time
    • 4002 officially condemned by the NSWGR on 17/8/1971
    • 4002 transferred to A.E. Goodwin on the 07/07/1971
    • 4002 was purchased along with 4006 in 1971 by Bechtel Pacific from A.E. Goodwin
    • 4002 and 4006 supplemented the order for 5 ALCo M636 units to be built new by AE Goodwin in 1971/72
    • Delivered in a yellow livery and numbered 261-002 for Bechtel Pacific during construction
    • 261-002 loaded on the 'Yanagi Maru' at #13 Pyrmont on Sunday 08/08/1971 for delivery
    • Folloing construction, 261-002 was renumbered to 86-13-1705 on the cab sides, but only 1705 in the number boards
    • Circa 1974 renumbered to 9405
    • Of note is this loco has worn six liveries, being green (delivered), royal blue for Royal Train, tuscan red and then, for Robe River, all yellow (delivered), with green band (during operations), finally a black band
  • 9410 (1st) was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo M636 model in July 1971 with serial number G-6060-1, part of the original order for five units
    • Locomotive was delivered with Bechtel Pacific road number 262-001 for use on construction
    • Loaded on the 'Yanagi Maru' at #13 Pyrmont on Sunday 08/08/1971 for delivery
    • 262-001 delivered with 262-002, 261-001 and 261-002 in September 1971
    • Construction completed was renumbered to 86-14-1710 on cab sides, but only 1710 on the number boards
    • Renumbered to 9410 circa 1974
    • Circa 1990 fitted ALCo 251 F engine and air-to-air intercooling
    • Subsequently scrapped in 2000.
  • 9410 (2nd) was built by Comeng NSW as an ALCo M636 model in November 1975 with serial number C6098-05
  • In service with Mount Newman Mining numbered 5500
    • Sent to Goninan's for CM40-8M rebuilding by BHP but not rebuilt
    • Eventually sold to Robe River
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA to a GE CM40-8M model March 1996 with serial number 2160-03 / 96-202
    • Damaged in Maitland collision January 2007
    • Repaired by Goninan's in Perth returning October 2007. Would be the last unit repainted in the Robe livery
    • Retired from operations
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012 and rebuilt by Goninan WA, reclassed and numbered to CD 4301 'The Victory'
    • 2014-2015 used on Roy Hill line construction trains
    • 07/2015 leased to Rio for 12 months 07/2016
    • 12/2017 leased to Roy Hill
    • Stored near Port Hedland Speedway
    • November 2021 sold to FMG and sent to Perth to Fortescue Future Industries for alternate fuel trials with hydrogen and ammonia
    • October 2022 repainted into FMG blue and white and renumbered to 801
  • 9411 was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo M636 model in July 1971 with serial number G-6060-2 and part of the original order for five units
    • Locomotive was delivered with Bechtel Pacific road umber 262-002 for construction
    • Loaded on the 'Yanagi Maru' at #13 Pyrmont on Sunday 08/08/1971 for delivery
    • 262-002 delivered with 262-001, 261-001 and 261-002 in September 1971
    • Construction completed was renumbered to 86-14-1711 on cab sides, but only 1711 on the number boards
    • 4th February 1973 was leading a fifty waggon train that ended up in Western Creek following a wash away
    • Subsequently repaired by AE Goodwin at Cape Lambert and returned to service June 1973
    • Circa 1974 renumbered to 9411
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in February 1992 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8206-02 / 92-125
    • Reactivated 2021 for Koodaideri line construction trains
    • Rio Tinto transferred ownership to John Holland, locos operated by Watco crews
    • Upon completion transferred to Sell and Parker Port Hedland and subsequently scrapped February 2022
  • 9412 was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo M636 model in December 1971 with serial number G-6060-3 and part of the original order for five units
    • Locomotive was delivered with Bechtel Pacific road number 262-003 for construction
    • Delivered to Darling Harbour 11th January 1972 for shipping to Cape Lambert with 262-004 and 262-005
    • Construction completed was renumbered to 86-14-1712 on cab sides, but only 1712 on the number boards
    • Circa 1974 renumbered to 9412
    • 22nd February 1979 2nd unit on empty train involved in head on collision at Siding One. Repaired at Cape Lambert and returned to service
    • Circa 1990 fitted ALCo 251 F engine
    • c2001 stored at Cape Lambert
    • Moved to storage at Seven Mile yard
    • Purchased by GTSA in 2007 and sent to Maddington WA
    • Subsequently scrapped ~2010.
  • 9413 was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo M636 model in December 1971 with serial number G-6060-4 and part of the original order for five units
    • Locomotive was delivered with Bechtel Pacific road number 262-004 for construction
    • Delivered to Darling Harbour 11th January 1972 for shipping to Cape Lambert with 262-003 and 262-005
    • Construction completed was renumbered to 86-14-1713 on cab sides, but only 1713 on the number boards
    • Circa 1974 renumbered to 9413
    • 22nd February 1979 was third unit on a loaded train involved in head on collision at Siding One
    • Repaired at Cape Lambert and returned to service
    • Circa 1990 fitted ALCo 251 Plus engine and air-to-air intercooling
    • c2001 stored at Cape Lambert
    • Moved to storage at Seven Mile yard
    • Purchased by GTSA in 2007 and sent to Maddington WA
    • Subsequently scrapped in December 2010.
  • 9414 was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo M636 model in December 1971 with serial number G-6060-5 and part of the original order for five units
    • Locomotive was delivered with Bechtel Pacific road number 262-005 for construction
    • Delivered to Darling Harbour 11th January 1972 for shipping to Cape Lambert with 262-004 and 262-005
    • Construction completed was renumbered to 86-14-1714 on cab sides, but only 1714 on the number boards
    • Circa 1974 renumbered to 9414
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in November 1991 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8206-11 / 91-124
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012
    • Was dismantled in 2019 as a parts source for the CFCLA CD class unit rebuilds by Goninan WA
  • 9415 was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo M636 model in February 1973 with serial number G-6060-06 as an extension to the original order following an uplift in ore orders
    • Delivered February 1973 numbered 1715
    • Circa 1974 renumbered to 9415
    • 22nd February 1979 9415 was third unit on an empty train involved in head on collision at Siding One
    • Repaired at Cape Lambert and returned to service
    • Circa 1990 fitted ALCo 251 Plus engine and air-to-air intercooling
    • c2001 stored at Cape Lambert
    • Moved to storage at Seven Mile yard
    • Sold to GTSA in 2007 and moved to Maddington
    • Subsequently scrapped in December 2010
  • 9416 was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo M636 model in January 1973 with serial number G-6046-16
  • Was painted and numbered for Hamersley Iron as 4045 but never entered service for HI
    • Robe River purchased 4045 off HI during construction due to a motive power shortage following 9411 being extensively damaged
    • February 1973 4045 delivered to Robe River in HI livery and number
    • Repainted into Robe livery and renumbered to 1716 on arrival
    • 22nd February 1979 second unit on a loaded train involved in head on collision at Siding One
    • Sent to Comeng WA for repairs and eventual return to service
    • Circa 1990 fitted ALCo 251 Plus for 4000 HP and air-to-air intercooling
    • c2001 stored at Cape Lambert
    • Moved to storage at Seven Mile yard
    • Sold to GTSA in 2007 and moved to Maddington
    • Subsequently scrapped in December 2010
  • 9417 (1st) was built by ALCo Schenectady NY USA as an ALCo C630 model in October 1967 with serial number 3486-01
  • In service with Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company (USA) with road number 2100
    • 2100 was purchased by Morrison Knudsen for Robe River (along with three sister units)
    • Delivered to Robe in January 1975
    • Repainted and renumbered to 9417 on arrival
    • 22nd February 1979 was lead unit of a loaded train involved in a head on collision at Siding One resulting in it being scrapped
  • 9417 (2nd) was built by ALCo Schenectady NY USA as an ALCo C630 model in November 1968 with serial number 6010-1
  • In service with Spokane, Portland and Seattle RR (USA) with road number 340, then Burlington Northern (USA) 4366
    • Purchased off Chrome Crankshaft USA late 1980
    • Major components sent to Goninan WA
    • Was the very first GE CM40-8M rebuild by Goninan in May 1989 with serial number 6266-05 / 89-83
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012
    • Was supposed to be rebuilt by Goninan WA and be reclassed and numbered as CD 4304
    • It was scrapped by CD Dodd in September 2020
  • 9418 was built by ALCo Schenectady NY USA as an ALCo C630 model in October 1967 with serial number 3486-02
  • In service with Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company (USA) with road number 2101
    • 2101 was purchased by Morrison Knudsen for Robe River (along with three sister units)
    • Delivered to Robe in January 1975
    • Repainted and renumbered to 9418 on arrival
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in December 1990 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8109-12 / 90-118
    • Retired on 27th February 2019 and stored
    • Reactivated 2021 for Koodaideri line construction trains
    • Rio Tinto transferred ownership to John Holland, locos operated by Watco crews
    • Upon completion transferred to Sell and Parker Port Hedland and subsequently scrapped February 2022
  • 9419 was built by ALCo Schenectady NY USA as an ALCo C630 model in October 1967 with serial number 3486-03
  • In service with Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company (USA) with road number 2102
    • 2102 was purchased by Morrison Knudsen for Robe River (along with three sister units)
    • Delivered to Robe in January 1975
    • Repainted and renumbered to 9419 on arrival
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in October 1990 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8109-10 / 90-117
    • Retired on 27th February 2019 and stored
    • Reactivated 2021 for Koodaideri line construction trains
    • Rio Tinto transferred ownership to John Holland, locos operated by Watco crews
    • Upon completion transferred to Sell and Parker Port Hedland and subsequently scrapped February 2022
  • 9420 was built by ALCo Schenectady NY USA as an ALCo C630 model in October 1967 with serial number 3486-04
  • In service with Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company (USA) with road number 2103
    • 2103 was purchased by Morrison Knudsen for Robe River (along with three sister units)
    • Delivered to Robe in January 1975
    • Repainted and renumbered as 9420 on arrival
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in March 1991 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8109-03 / 91-119
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA and reclassed and numbered to CD 4305 'Arsenal'
    • 2014-2015 used on Roy Hill line construction trains
    • 07/2015 leased to Rio Tinto at Cape Lambert for 12 months 07/2016
    • 12/2017 leased to Roy Hill
    • Stored near Port Hedland Speedway
    • Scrapped at Port Hedland by CD Dodd February 2022.
  • 9421 was built by Comeng NSW as an ALCo M636 model in August 1977 with serial number C6103-1
    • Delivered to Robe River in November 1977 numbered 9421
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in February 1993 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8297-02 / 93-137
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012 and rebuilt by Goninan WA and reclassed and numbered to CD 4302 'Lord Fury'
    • 2014-2015 used on Roy Hill line construction trains
    • 07/2015 leased to Rio Tinto at Cape Lambert for 12 months 07/2016
    • 12/2017 leased to Roy Hill
    • Stored near Port Hedland Speedway
    • November 2021 sold to FMG and sent to Perth to Fortescue Future Industries for alternate fuel trials with hydrogen and ammonia
    • October 2022 repainted into FMG blue and white and renumbered to 802
    • November 2022 returned to FMG Thomas Yard
  • 9422 was built by Comeng NSW as an ALCo M636 model in August 1977 with serial C6103-2
    • Delivered to Robe River in November 1977 numbered 9422
    • 22nd February 1979 lead unit on empty train involved in head on collision at Siding One
    • Repaired at Cape Lambert and returned to service
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in March 1993 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8297-03 / 93-138
    • Retired on 27th February 2019 and stored
    • Reactivated 2021 for Koodaideri line construction trains
    • Rio Tinto transferred ownership to John Holland, locos operated by Watco crews
    • Upon completion transferred to Sell and Parker Port Hedland and subsequently scrapped February 2022
  • 9423 was built by Comeng WA as ALCo M636 model in February 1980 with serial C6116-1 / WA112
    • This unit replaced the written off 9417
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in April 1992 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 8206-04 / 92-126
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012 and rebuilt by Goninan WA and reclassed and numbered to CD 4303 'Warrior'
    • 2014-2015 used on Roy Hill line construction trains
    • 07/2015 leased to Rio Tinto for 12 months 07/2016
    • 12/2017 leased to Roy Hill
    • Stored near Port Hedland Speedway
    • Sold to FMG and transferred to Thomas Yard Port Hedland November 2021.
  • 9424 was built by ALCo Schenectady NY USA as a C636 model in November 1968 serial number 6010-4
  • In service with Spokane, Portland and Seattle RR (USA) with road number 343 then Burlington Northern (USA) 4369
    • Purchased off Chrome Crankshaft USA late 1980
    • Shipped from the US port of Portland, Oregon on the 11th April 1981
    • Arrived Cape Lambert May 1981
    • Overhauled in the workshops with in-service date of November 1981 numbered 9424
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in July 1989 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial number 6266-07 / 89-84
    • Circa 2005 painted into the Pilbara Iron livery, the only CM40-8M unit done
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012 was earmarked to be rebuilt by Goninan WA and become CD 4306 but placed on hold
    • Scrapped at CD Dodd in August 2020.
  • 9425 was built by AE Goodwin NSW as an ALCo C636 in April 1970 with serial G-6041-4
  • In service with Mount Newman Mining numbered 5468
    • Sold to Robe in August 1982 and repainted and renumbered to 9425
    • Rebuilt by Goninan WA in July 1989 to a GE CM40-8M model with serial 6266-8 / 89-85
    • Departed Goninan's Bayswater plant on the 16th July 1989
    • Ended up in CFCLA ownership in 2012 was earmarked to be rebuilt by Goninan WA and become CD 4307, this did not happen
    • Subsequently scrapped in May 2018.
  • 9426 was originally built in January 1968 by ALCo Schenectady NY as a C636 model with serial number 3499-3
  • In service with Pennsylvania Railroad (USA) with road number 6332, then Penn Central numbered 6332 and finally Conrail numbered 6782
    • Purchased by Robe River in December 1985
    • Shipped minus cab to Perth and rebuilt by Comeng WA into an ALCo C636R model with serial number WA143-1
    • Delivered to Robe River in November 1986 numbered 9426
    • c2001 stored at Cape Lambert
    • Moved to storage at Seven Mile yard
    • c2005 reactivated for Tunkawanna - Rosella duplication work trains with 3017
    • Sold to Coote Industrial in 2006
    • Rebuilt GTSA Engineering for Coote Industrial as DR 8401 'Jean' and leased to ARMS for the construction of FMG railway in 2007-08
    • Stored at Asset Kinetics, Wedgefield
    • Subsequently scrapped in January 2013 under Engenco Ltd ownership.
  • 9427 was originally built in January 1968 by ALCo Schenectady NY as a C636 model with serial number 3499-2
  • In service with Pennsylvania Railroad (USA) with road number 6331, then Penn Central numbered 6331 and finally Conrail numbered 6781
    • Purchased by Robe River in December 1985
    • Shipped minus cab to Perth and rebuilt by Comeng WA into an ALCo C636R model with serial number WA143-2
    • Delivered to Robe River in January 1987 numbered 9427
    • Used as yard shunter / pilot circa 2000-2002
    • c2001 stored at Cape Lambert
    • Moved to storage at Seven Mile yard
    • Sold to Coote Industrial in 2006
    • Rebuilt GTSA Engineering for Coote Industrial as DR 8403 'Rachel' and leased to ARMS for construction of FMG railway in 2007-08
    • Stored at Asset Kinetics, Wedgefield
    • Subsequently scrapped in January 2013 under Engenco Ltd ownership

Click image for larger pop-up.

9103 Green Pool 9103 Green Pool 9103 Green Pool 9103 Green Pool 9103 Green Pool 9110 Green Pool 9110 Green Pool 9110 Green Pool 9110 Green Pool 9424 Cape Lambert 7097-93 Dugite 5052-51 7Mile 7085 Harding 9404-7079 Dugite 7069-77 Gull 7069-77 Ibis 7098 Ibis fuel waggons 82k 9407-7075-67 82k 9434-7095 WC 7089 9433-29 67k 9417-20 7Mile 7096-7073 PP 9419 7Mile 7094 7Mile 7097-93 7Mile 7083 Dingo 7061-9402-7085 CL 9470 7 Mile 9470-71 loaded 7 Mile 9472 Cape Lambert 9472 Cape Lambert 9472 Cape Lambert 9470_71@7mile_loaded
7089 7094 @ Pelican 7089 7094 @ Cockatoo 7087 @ Cockatoo Loop 7089 7074 X 7087 @ Cockatoo 7089 7074 X 7087 @ Cockatoo 7089 7074 X 7087 @ Cockatoo 7088 @ Cockatoo 7088 @ Cockatoo 7080 7082 at Robe flyover 7080 7082 distance 7072 Possum 72-74 B end 7082-72 Possum 7082 Possum 7082 Possum Cross at Pelican 7068 7067 at Pelican 7068 7067 at Pelican 7084 & 89 with loaded 1171 wagon HI Grinder HI Grinder 7074 30km 9412 ALCo 9415 ALCo 9413 ALCo 9416 ALCo 9427 7Mile Stored ALCo's CL Departure 7077 DD train 7km 9414 11km Ore waggon 853 Ore waggon 730 Ore waggon 074 9405 PRHS 9405 PRHS 9401 Wickham 9401 Wickham

Older Robe River images.

9414 Cape Lambert 9414 Cape Lambert 9426 Cape Lambert 9420 Cape Lambert fuel point 9426 Cape Lambert 9414 Harding 9414 37.5 km 9414 37.5 km 9425 at Siding 2 9425 at Siding 2 9417 x 9414t at Siding 2 9414 loaded @ 89k xing Empty at 71k xing 9426 Cape Lambert 9426 Cape Lambert 9426 Cape Lambert 9426 Cape Lambert 9415 Cape Lambert M636's Cape Lambert 9413 Cape Lambert 9413 Cape Lambert 9416 Cape Lambert
Set Back to Pilbara Yard / Photo Gallery / Blog / Departure Yard / BHP Road / Fortescue Metals Road / Rio Tinto Road / Roy Hill Road / Comalco Siding
Your IP address is: 3.235.20.185 Website and all images are © 1997-2024 www.pilbararailways.com.au Contact Us
Valid HTML 4.0 Transitional